The Dark Heart of Florence: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #15) (Hardcover)
Search for Books or E-books
Other Books in Series
This is book number 15 in the Lady Emily Mysteries series.
- #1: And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily Mysteries #1) (Paperback): $14.99
- #2: A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily Mysteries #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily Mysteries #3) (Paperback): $15.99
- #4: Tears of Pearl: A Novel of Suspense (Lady Emily Mysteries #4) (Paperback): $17.99
- #5: Dangerous to Know: A Novel of Suspense (Lady Emily Mysteries #5) (Paperback): $17.99
- #6: A Crimson Warning: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #6) (Paperback): $22.99
- #7: Death in the Floating City: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #7) (Paperback): $19.99
- #8: Behind the Shattered Glass: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #8) (Paperback): $19.99
- #9: The Counterfeit Heiress: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #9) (Paperback): $9.99
- #10: The Adventuress: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #10) (Hardcover): $28.59
- #11: A Terrible Beauty: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #11) (Hardcover): $25.99
- #12: Death in St. Petersburg: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #12) (Paperback): $16.99
- #13: Uneasy Lies the Crown: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #13) (Paperback): $17.99
- #14: In the Shadow of Vesuvius: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries #14) (Hardcover): $27.99
In the next Lady Emily Mystery, The Dark Heart of Florence, critically acclaimed author Tasha Alexander transports readers to the legendary city of Florence, where Lady Emily and Colin must solve a murder with clues leading back to the time of the Medici.
In 1903, tensions between Britain and Germany are starting to loom over Europe, something that has not gone unnoticed by Lady Emily and her husband, Colin Hargreaves. An agent of the Crown, Colin carries the weight of the Empire, but his focus is drawn to Italy by a series of burglaries at his daughter’s palazzo in Florence—burglaries that might have international ramifications. He and Emily travel to Tuscany where, soon after their arrival, a stranger is thrown to his death from the roof onto the marble palazzo floor.
Colin’s trusted colleague and fellow agent, Darius Benton-Smith, arrives to assist Colin, who insists their mission must remain top secret. Finding herself excluded from the investigation, Emily secretly launches her own clandestine inquiry into the murder, aided by her spirited and witty friend, Cécile. They soon discover that the palazzo may contain a hidden treasure dating back to the days of the Medici and the violent reign of the fanatic monk, Savonarola—days that resonate in the troubled early twentieth century, an uneasy time full of intrigue, duplicity, and warring ideologies.
Emily and Cécile race to untangle the cryptic clues leading them through the Renaissance city, but an unimagined danger follows closely behind. And when another violent death puts Emily directly in the path of a killer, there’s much more than treasure at stake…
About the Author
Tasha Alexander is the author of the New York Times bestselling Lady Emily mystery series (Tears of Pearl, Dangerous to Know, and A Crimson Warning). The daughter of two philosophy professors, she studied English Literature and Medieval History at the University of Notre Dame. She and her husband, novelist Andrew Grant, live on a ranch in southeastern Wyoming.
“With gothic chills, laugh-out-loud humor and international intrigue, [The Dark Heart of Florence will] whisk the reader off to the past and ensnare them with carefully crafted plots and plenty of suspense.” --Bookpage
"Tasha Alexander’s research, attention to detail, and passionate characters make The Dark Heart of Florence an intelligent and sophisticated page-turner." --Ellery Queen Magazine
“Alexander brings both early Renaissance and Edwardian-era Florence to life, with well researched references to Florentine history, literature, and art.” –Booklist
“Lady Emily Hargreaves returns to Italy in 1903 in a tale of murder, espionage, and hidden treasure…Historical background adds depth to a complex, exciting mystery.” –Kirkus Reviews
“Lively…Alexander effortlessly slips an enormous amount of Florentine history into a narrative that offers a loving portrait of the city and just the right amount of dashing derring-do. This series remains as fresh as ever.” —Publishers Weekly
Praise for In the Shadow of Vesuvius:
"Alexander’s precise attention to historical details invests her series about Lady Emily Hargreaves with an unshakeable background that she expertly weaves into solid plots…[her] skills shine in In the Shadow of Vesuvius…pitch-perfect." —Sun-Sentinel
"Tasha Alexander brings both eras to life through meticulous research, and the dual stories come together in a chilling finale. Scenes set among the ruins of Pompeii and in the city pre-disaster have such depth that it feels like we’re walking directly into them. This is an urbane thriller with a big heart." —Bookpage
“[Evokes] the setting’s rich history…lovers of classical culture should be pleased.” —Publishers Weekly
“A captivating story of Pompeii... engaging.” —Kirkus Reviews
Praise for Uneasy Lies the Crown:
“Readers are in the author’s trustworthy hands, and the working out of the puzzle will delight mystery and history buffs alike.” —Booklist
Praise for Death in St. Petersburg:
"Alexander is at the top of her game...(her) impeccable research and smart storytelling keep readers on the edge of their seats...A gripping tale by a grand mistress of the genre."—RT Book Reviews (Top Pick)
Praise for the Lady Emily Mysteries:
“Tasha Alexander has created Victorian London's most colorful and delightfully eccentric sleuth.” —Jacqueline Winspear, New York Times bestselling author of the Maisie Dobbs Series
“Consistently witty, smart, and entertaining.”—Booklist